Building a family room in an apartment can be challenging, but with ten tips and resources you’ll have the perfect space for all of your needs. Read on to find out more!
1) Include built-in storage units. Built-in storage units will help keep your living room clutter free while providing enough space for all of your items.
2) Add a TV. A family room should have a television for enjoying movies and sports with your kids and friends, so make sure to include one in the design of your space.
3) Consider building an outdoor area by extending the floor outside or adding on another deck level at least above ground-level. If you are worried about rain, build a covered area or include an awning that will provide protection from the elements.
4) Add some artwork to brighten up your family room walls and create focal points in your design. For example, you can add abstract art over a couch for added interest. Choose colorful pieces such as paintings of flowers to fit with any existing color scheme.
5) List the furniture that should be in your family room. You’ll want to make sure you have enough seating for everyone who will visit (or at least a few extra seats!), but don’t forget about tables and other pieces of furniture as well.
6) Include a comfortable sofa or loveseat for seating. If your family room is large enough, you can also add an armchair and coffee table as well as some end tables if necessary.
7) Use rugs and carpets to make your family room feel more cozy. Add one in the center of your space for seating, or place a rug under coffee table legs for added interest.
TIP: Make sure you choose rugs that are easy to clean because when kids are involved messes can happen!
8) Ask yourself what you want your family room to look like. Do you want it to be a place where the whole family can relax after school or work? If so, then consider adding comfortable seating and magazines for entertainment. For example, if you have kids who enjoy reading make sure to include bookshelves in the design of your space!
9) Search online for design ideas to help you visualize your family room. For example, visit sites like Pinterest and Houzz that include a wide variety of living spaces designed by professionals.
You can also look at home decor magazines as well as television shows about interior design in order to get more ideas on how to make this space perfect!
TIP: Watch how-to videos on YouTube or take pictures of your favorite family room designs to keep as inspiration for the design of yours.
10) Make sure to ask the landlord for permission to build a family room if you aren’t already allowed. If he or she is skeptical about the amount of people who will be visiting your home, make sure to point out that this space can also double as an entertainment area for guests!
TIP: Be honest with any concerns they might have such as noise and traffic in order to make them more likely to agree.
Thanks for reading!